St. Joseph Hospital’s cardiopulmonary rehabilitation program is designed to help improve each patient’s heart or lung function through:
- Medical evaluation
- Prescribed exercise
- Recommended lifestyle changes
- Emotional support
Outpatient cardiac rehab is a supervised exercise program that focuses on safely returning cardiac patients to a more active lifestyle and reducing the risk of future cardiac episodes. It is designed for patients who have experienced or are at risk for:
- Congestive heart failure
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery
- Myocardial infarction
- Coronary angioplasty or stent procedures
- Stable angina
- Valve repair or replacement
- Ventricular assist devices
- Cardiac transplantation
Outpatient pulmonary rehab helps enhance the quality of life for patients with chronic respiratory impairment by restoring lung capacity to the highest possible level. This is achieved by decreasing respiratory symptoms and complications; encouraging independence; improving physical conditioning, exercise tolerance and emotional well-being; and reducing hospitalizations.
Pulmonary rehab is designed for patients who have experienced or are at risk for:
- Chronic bronchitis
- COPD (including alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer
- Lung volume reduction surgery
- Pre/post lung transplant
- Pulmonary fibrosis
Program participants receive:
- A one-on-one evaluation prior to starting the program and ongoing medical evaluations throughout rehab
- Three monitored, one-hour exercise sessions per week for up to 12 weeks
- Each session consists of a warm-up, cardiovascular exercise, strength training and a cool down
- Exercise sessions are supervised by an exercise physiologist who monitors EKG, blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen saturations
- Education and support
- Cardiac rehab patients learn how to recognize and manage heart disease symptoms to prevent additional cardiac damage. Topics include blood pressure, exercise, nutrition, cholesterol, weight management, stress management and smoking cessation.
- Pulmonary rehab classes help patients improve quality of life by focusing on controlled breathing and energy conservation techniques.
Cardiopulmonary services are covered by most insurance providers, including Medicare. A physician’s order with proper documentation is required for entry into the program. For additional information on cardiopulmonary rehabilitation services at St. Joseph Hospital, call (260) 425-3208(260) 425-3208.